Sourdough Bagel Bialy
Sourdough Bagel Bialy its like a bagel and bialy in one.
1.5 C Put cold water in your mixing bowl. Use non sink water for best results. Mine loves the fridge door.
1/4 C Sourdough starter add to the water. Generally as long as it floats it is ready. There are times it is ok if not.
4 C flour add into the mix and stir. I use a dutch wisk which we carry.
Switch to hands when its incorporated. Keep folding and kneeding for 15-15 min.
It should be wet. The hydration makes it really fluffy. If you are in a high altitude you may need to add more water. I am in the mountians. I start with a splash from a cup of water. I keep adding till its really gooey. I like to make it really wet.
Next you cover with a damp towel for one hour. Leave in a no draft warm spot.
In an hour kneed it again. If its super wet and liquid. Add some flour little pinches to soak some up. I only do this if theres liquid in the bowl not in the dough.
Mix 2 tbsp of salt (I use french course) with a little water. Work into the dough. If you add too soon. It will get harder to fast. The salt pulls it together.
Now cover. I use a plate or pot lid. Leave on the counter for 8 - 12 hours.
Pull it out in about 1/3-1/2 cup hand grabs. Roll it on a floured surface. Pinch and roll into t a fluffy ball. Place on a floured surface. When they are all done. Cover with a damp towel. Leave for 1-3 hours to rise.
Heres the next options:
- When ready. Flour a tray and place on tray.
- Brush with water and sprinkle topping.
- Bake 425-450 for about 7-10 min when cooked not super hard or brown
- When ready. Flour tray and place on tray. Press into the middle of them with two fingers to make a indent. To make a bialy. Tradition is cooked or minced onion and some garlic.
- Add topping and brush with water
- When ready. Boil a pot of water.
- Push a hole into the middle of the ball and spin. To make a bagel.
- Leave on the tray for 30 min covered in presence of the warm stove.
- Preheat oven 425-450
- Drop into boiling water for 45 seconds
- Place on a grate or like wise
- Sprinkle topping
- Put onto a floured tray
- Bake 10 min give or take. You want them fluffy and cooked. Not brown.